11.24.2008

What am I doing here?

Could prolly say that three anime started me in this dark dangerous irrevocable road to fandom. When asked, people with extensive anime backgrounds would mention DragonBall and Sailor Moon to have taken their anime virginity. The first time the mere idea of fandom became a part of my life would be 1st grade when I was six. Yes, I was corrupted at such a young age. Woe is me.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'd blame my good friend, but she started it. Gundam Wing was showing at a local channel around the time I got out of class. It was easily one of my favorites with all the giant robots, angst, romance, and crazy suicidal Heero moments. Dubbing wasn't much of an issue, since I still think Filipino dubbers are better than American ones. With that said, Gundam Wing got a me to hunt down lyrics for "Just Communication" and "Real Emotion". Was prolly too young to be picky about the Engrish. Also, made a faux wedding invitation to Relena and Heero's wedding collaborated on by me and said friend. Yes, this was also the start of my shipping days. Until, now I'm still into the mecha scene prolly more inclined toward Gundam and Macross.
Akazukin Chacha

Then came Akazukin ChaCha...It's wacky, illogical, cute, and downright fun. I wouldn't recommend it for first time watchers, but tis a good watch for people willing to try something classic and chibi. Oh gahds, the chibi kills me.

Four years after what could be called my first encounter, came Fushigi Yuugi. How many people would voluntarily watch a show in 3 different languages in a week? It doesn't help that this show had the infamous Nuriko episode that had me and my brother in tears. The show also introduced me to the perviness of anime, bishies, damn plot twists, undying annoying characters, and the power of love! Even if I'd rather bury my head in shame and burn all memorabilia of the Fushigi Yuugi days, it's still here on this list, haunting me...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I ask myself sometimes where I'd be without these shows. Would my life be more peaceful? Would I be the same person? I mean, not to sound cliche, but however much we deny it, we are what we watch. It makes one think, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment